Saturday, May 06, 2006

In defence of Green Wing...

I know I know, here come the bricks and bottles complaining Green Wing just isn't funny.

I have to say that I LURVED the first series. It was just perfect for my insanity.

With all the criticism, some from very well respected corners of my blog world here, here, and here I was probably expecting it to be not just a let down compared to the first series but a revelation convincing me I was utterly wrong to find that first series funny at all.

But you know what? We got friends to tape it when we were away in New Zealand. And we caught up with the episodes. And we've been watching since our return. And guess what? I STILL think its funny.

Maybe not as superbly mad as the first series, but gigglesome and wince-worthy in the right measures.

And I LOVE Tamsin Greig. The whole thwarted Caroline & Mac thing? Sigh....

5 comments:

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

I know this is hard, probably even impossible to answer, though I have faith - what do you find funny in it?! When I know what I'm not getting, maybe I can move on...!

patrische said...

I have to say I think it's as funny as shit, but S02 absolutely requires the viewer to have kept a slavish adherence to keeping up with S01. I'm with Lisa - if you know what's going on there is enough continuity in S02 to glue the whole thing together - I do however agree that they do seem to be flying extremely seats-of-the-pants style - there was a Telegraph Magazine article on the production which made it evident how much they were having to sew impovs together in post - tricky blighter that...

Steve Mangham is a genius though - that swan scene - planning to go and see Confetti...

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Yes, patrische I also thought the swan scene was just awful in an totally hysterical kind of way. Its hard to put your finger on excatly WHAT is funny about the show (apart from the exchange of one-liners we only ever think of after the event in real-life...)

I have to say that when TG came out with the line "what kind of girl do you think I am?" and then immediately rescinded it to say she was exactly that kind of girl and yes please do kiss me ... well, let's just say it rang VERY large (and funny) alarms of recognition for when Neil and I were approaching our first night together...

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Oh GOD, with the very quick proviso to the above remark that no one threw a penknife at his head...

(Though please someone else tell me that they also think Caroline is having a major displacement response to the therapist... if he just let his hair down from the tie-back not-ponttail you just know it would all flop forward a la Mac...)

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with Tamsin too. And Mac. And I honestly think some of the scenes between those two are amongst the most romantic TV scenes I've ever seen.

The one where they were on the bench in the garden and his ex girlfriend appeared, for instance.

*sigh*