Thursday, May 11, 2006

I'll meet you at the Cemetry Gates...

I have always been fascinated by graveyards (no, I'm not a closet Goth - not with my taste for colour!). My mother always loved walking with me through them and us reading and reconstructing the lives and histories of the people there: the patterns of illness, marriage, children, common names... so much to be learnt from just reading some stones.

So on reading it, I immediately had to follow up on Skuds' link to this site.

As Skuds indicates it's both witty and smart, and informative. Fabulous stuff.

It also brings to mind that its been a while since my last random wander through a churchyard/graveyard (no, I don't think I'm Buffy, looking out for vampires: you all know I have a Willow fixation...). Still, whilst the weather is nice it makes me think about planning a visit to one of the local churches to have a rummage for the interesting and the obscure lives and histories hinted at by gravestones.

Yes, I was (and am) a weird child.

3 comments:

Admin said...

I think you need to look at the Flickr group for phallic tombstones...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/phallictombstones/

Reidski said...

Graveyards are excellent places for a walk - I have Nunhead Cemetery five minutes walk from home and can't think of a better Sunday morning walk than a stroll through its gates.
Kensal Green is a bit northern for me but I'll consider a visit in the near future!

Rob said...

I regularly do concerts (one tomorrow in fact) in Greyfriars Kirk, whose graveyard contains some splendid stuff. Nothing pagan that I've spotted (we're talking medieval and Victorian Edinburgh here!) but fun to browse nonetheless. And McGonagall. Not to mention the dog.