Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I don't get Flickr

Here I am uploading photographs through Blogger and I look around at all the people who use Flickr and think "why don't I do that?"

And then I occasionally come across posts like this, which - even though it is now resolved - just make me think "can I deal with the hassle?"

I'm also probably a bit tight money-wise and, since I am already wasting one lot of expenditure at the moment on something I haven't made much use of, I'm not best keen to be forking out for something I may just get out of the habit of using.

So someone please tell me: what are the advantages of Flickr compared to other photo storage sites? How much does it cost and what do you get for that? And how tech-smart do you have to be to use it?

Just thoughts...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, Flickr is free if all you want is a standard account. This limits the amount you can upload each month, but nobody ever reaches their limit unless they start uploading 8 megapixel images full size or something ridiculous. Also it limits the number of photo sets you can create, and it was this latter that made me decide to get a "pro" account that you pay for.

Secondly, Flickr is very easy to use. Using the upload page you can do six photos at a time, and once uploaded you can use the "All Sizes" button and it will give you a choice of various different sizes of photo to post and the html code to cut and paste in order to post it.

That said, I only use it because I host my own blog using WordPress software. On my alternative "Blogger" blog I upload photos directly to my account.

DraconianOne said...

What he said. I find flickr easy to use and provides all the functionality (including community) that a boy could need. The ability to annotate select pictures is by no means essential but can be an amusing distraction at times.

I nearly reached the upload limit (of 20Mb) last month but that's chiefly because I didn't reduce the size of the pics. Upgrading to a Pro account is relatively cheap if you need to.

Dr. J said...

I can agree with both the above. I've been using it for a couple of months, the only thing that would make me consider paying is the ability to create sets - I appear to be limited to 3 on the standard account.

You can also upload a whole load of images at once with a downloadable tool for Windows, which is really easy to use and then annotate them on the website. It seems to integrate well with blogger too.