Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Doctor Who and the Cybermen

It would probably not be a surprise if I said I really enjoyed this weekend's culminating 2-part episode of Doctor Who: "The Age of Steel".

Okay, so it wasn't perfect (there was a really clunky line about "saving London" that had us all wincing*), but as Fuzzboy said in response to Anna's remarks in exchange with Marie, boy we have been spoiled by some of our expectations for the series. Because I thought it was cracking. I cheered as the Doctor 'talked' his hints to MickeytheTinDog via the video link, and I must admit I was suitably chuffed at having kept myself spoiler-free on what happens with Mickey (not so much the Tin Dog, even if not quite a hero). And for the expression of delight on Tennant's face as he gets the TARDIS back to life... priceless. A real joy.

* "us all" will be explained in another post.

5 comments:

Marie said...

Now I have guilt... Still, I didn't think it was very funny or very scary or even particularly sad, so I was kind of underwhelmed, as were my nieces and nephews (aged 5 to 9) who watched it with me. We say: more werewolves, daleks, or unconvincing horsey special effects please!

Reidski said...

I rarely watch any series on TV but this series of Dr Who I really look forward to every week - even if I don't see it ever week. I think DT is the perfect Dr, with the just right balance between serious and light-hearted - and, yes, I know the writing has a lot to do with it, but you need the right person to deliver those lines and DT is definitely it!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I love it when the boys praise DT! It kinda reassures me that I don't love his performance just cos the guy makes me grin like a teenager...

He IS a cracking actor.

Marie said...

Well, *that* I am not taking issue with!

J.J said...

I cried at the end...Big Girl's Blouse that I am.