Friday, January 13, 2006

Films we know and love that few others have heard of

Closely related to the post Norm tagged us for, it got me thinking about other films we rave about that seem to have by-passed most other people's critical radar.

* Funny Bones: Lee Evans. Oliver Platt. Blackpool. Most bareable performance by Jerry Lewis since The King of Comedy.
* I Married a Strange Person: The weirdest mess-with-your-head animation musical feature you could imagine and then some. Seriously insane.
* Lawn Dogs: you SHOULD know this film. It's beautiful, magical, horrifying and delicate. It also has the exquisite sight of Sam Rockwell's naked body. Worth admission. Also, Mischa Barton before she went all OC on us.

That was just off the top of my head. Pretty certain I could come up with others. if you know any of these films; if you liked any of these films; if you LOVE any of these films... well, let me know. If you have seen them and hated them... hmm... we may well have to reconsider things...


Only kidding. If we were all alike, MAN that would be boring (besides, too many of you to fight with already for the love of certain men...)

7 comments:

She Who Reads said...

I haven't heard of any of these! Huh! I'll have to check them out...

Rosby said...

Ditto. Haven't heard of them.

Best film ever? Team America! Closely followed by Scream, Vanilla Sky, Supersize Me and Farenheit 9/11.

Out.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Team America is... well.. as I said when I saw it (in a double bill at home with Napoleon Dynamite: a good evening had by all I can say)... well, Team America is very dumb but very, VERY funny. Overall, I would have a say... pretty fine!

Violet said...

I remember enjoying Funny Bones, though only because Lee whatsisname is so damned funny. Actually, I've seen him doing stand-up and it's really similar (and funny enough to make me wheeze).

mike said...

Oh God... Sam Rockwell in Lawn Dogs... the very definition of sexy!

Anonymous said...

Blackpool is my favorite English city. :)

Anonymous said...

I've seen Funny Bones, it was okay. Heard of Lawn Dogs but don't know anything about it. Never heard of the other one.

I tend to take the view that if you have never heard of a movie, there's usually a reason why. Doesn't always work though.

I would throw A Midnight Clear into the ring for consideration.