Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Always good to see more people joining the anti-McKeith brigade (aka Bad Science fans)

Ever read Bad Science in the Guardian? Fabulous. One of my favourite features (yes, I know sometimes not perfect - what is? - but glorious debunking none the less).

Anyway, I was reminded of that when I stumbled over this at Martyn's page via JustJane's blogroll. Great stuff, not least for providing a wonderful link at the bottom of the post which truly debunks the idiotscreechMcKeith.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will always be in Ben Goldacre's debt. Bad Science saved me from 'Dr' Gillian and her aloe vera.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

How could you ever trust that an integral part of a diet is something that is used to flavour toiletries?! (I know some herbs can be used in that way but really, they talk about aloe vera with regards to toilet paper for heavens sake!!)

You're right though, and your original post was very entertaining (glad you ditched the dumbass diet advice of screechyidiotMcKeith).

Anonymous said...

True. It kind of reminds me of a Monty Python sketch: the lager advert one where the voice-over artist keeps stopping and asking 'Are you sure about this?' whenever he has to say it has the 'great new taste of fish'.

But in my defence, there are toiletries that are orange scented (I like oranges) and shampoos made with peanut oil (peanuts are nice), so it's not a great leap of imagination to think that some toiletries ingredients that could also double as respectable dietary supplements.

Of course, it turns out that talking about "shampoo with aloe vera" is pretty much the same as talking about "unscented shampoo" since they taste identical (I won't go into how I know what shampoo tastes like).

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Consuming shampoo?! No wonder you thought the aloe vera was not an unreasonable dietary element!

You're right though about the flavour of shampoos and stuff but I still think there was a give away in aloe vera not being a nice thing...