Anyway: confronted by the question of 'David Tennant or John Barrowman? And why?' in the MediumRob competition (deadline 25th October 2009) I can only fall back on some trite thoughts:
- because he made my heart skip and my stomach turn when I saw him on a billboard poster
- because his physique is the kind that makes me smile inside
- because he has great hair
- because his native accent makes my mouth go dry and moves my womb
- because... I can't even say how other parts of my body react without getting obscene
- because when he smiles, honestly, perfectly, it is enough to dazzle my eyes
- because when he meets fans he is nothing less than kind and frequently generous
- because he seems to have a genuine affection and understanding of people's affection for him
- because he can turn emotions on the edge of a sixpence, from joy to despair
- because he knows just how to choke a line of dialogue to rip your heart out
- because when he laughs you never feel it is anything less than real
- because he believes in social justice and fairness
- because he loves what he does and can't get enough of it
So far, this could, reasonably be applied to either of these lovely males. But....
.... I don't need life to be a song and a dance, a show-stopping spectacle, a confessional, heroic demonstration - as much as that excites me.
My choice? He's the Doctor, MY Doctor, and much more besides. John Barrowman is a perfect companion, sexual tease, and flirt. But my choice would be: David Tennant.