Monday, June 09, 2008

Confession - I have fallen for a totally cheesy tune

Oh Lordy help me. It must be listening to 6Music that did it. I have to blame someone.

I'm completely hooked on the track "Two Doors Down" by Mystery Jets. It's complete 80s pop reworked for 2008 cheese, with added saxophone cheese. It makes no sense (the first line says he's in love with "the girl next door"; the song then proceeds to go on about, as the title says, being in love with the girl "two doors down"). It is silliness of the highest order. And the video just reinforces this ridiculous 80s excess. It is bonkers.

But, there is something artlessly charming about the song's character being rather reticent and nervy about approaching this rather cool, drum playing girl. And the invocation of Television's "Marquee Moon" has to be worth something, right?

I know, trying too hard. It's nonsense but I'm hooked.

Save me!

PS Far too embarrassed to cross-post this to Music is Our Hot, Hot Sex!

3 comments:

Reidski said...

Funny, funny, funny! It took a lot of guts for me to admit to liking certain songs by the Spice Girls and Take That - err, not the same thing?

chrissie_allen said...

Ha ha! Cheesy, kooky- most definitely Rullsenberg. Totally oddly enjoyable-oh yeah! Don't be bashful girl.....we all need some cheese in our lives;-)

JoeinVegas said...

Does not sound like your songs at all. But I love his hair.