Friday, July 25, 2008

Mercury thoughts

Anna tasked has recently updated us on her busy life and mentioned the Mercury nominations.

Hmm...

Adele - 19
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
Burial - Untrue
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
Estelle - Shine
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim
Neon Neon - Stainless Style
Portico Quartet - Knee-Deep in the North Sea
Rachel Unthank & The Winterset - The Bairns
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement

Okay, let me honest here. I only actually have one of these albums (thank you George by the way!). However, I do know of enough of the artists to be able at least to mutter general thoughts.

Adele - well, urm... no, sorry. Not really doing it for me.
British Sea Power - Stifles slight yawn.
Burial - Better. I have several bits by Burial and they're never less than interesting.
Elbow - I know Swiss Toni is a bit of a rave for these guys, and I passed up the 'chance' to see them at Summer Sundae in the past. I've always felt a bit underwhelmed by them, but have to acknowledge that the regular airings of their performance at Glastonbury of "One Day Like This" has made me reconsider.
Estelle - Saw her live supporting the majesterial (if sometimes overblown) Philly band The Roots. She was okay, but I wouldn't rave.
Laura Marling - The standout of this gang in that I know and love this album. Gorgeous, glorious voice and beautiful album. Buy it and love it. She's also way cute.
Neon Neon - Like what I hear and it does feature Boom Bip and Mr Super Furry so, ya know, good.
Portico Quartet - Passed me by, though by what I have read more recently they may be worth a listen.
Rachel Unthank & The Winterset - Heard a lot about her and really should have caught her live by now. May get chance to rectify this at Summer Sundae this year.
Radiohead - Not really played it much. Okay, but not a highlight of their career.
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Wasn't this out for ever ago? Okay enough but perhaps not the classic it has been promo-ed to be.
The Last Shadow Puppets - Alex Turner may not be (as The Guardian tried to proclaim) one of the greatest ever songwriters, but he does have a good turn of phrase and this is a fine side-project.

That's my thoughts!

If Mark Riley has anything to say about it, I think he'd like Elbow to get it.

No comments: