Saturday, September 16, 2006

Opening Line Chart Rundown!

So far we have had one round of 25 lines (see here and here), plus an on-going range of daily opening lines.

There's still a few left overs from the daily offerings. I'll try and do another round up at the end of the month!

In the meantime here's a run down of all who have got the lines. It may or may not be revealing of tastes, but given that even I don't always manage to check the blogs regularly (despite Bloglines) people are forgiven for not getting in to answer even those they could have gotten!.

Well done to all concerned, no big heads folks. I may deliberately start choosing stuff to fox ya!

And remember

...NO GOOGLING!!!!!!


Alan got:
"I can't sleep tonight, Everybody saying everything's alright" - Why Does It Always Rain on Me?: Travis (9 July 2006)

Baby Washington got:
"The soldier asked my name, did I come here very often" - Sleep of the Just: The Costello Show (25 lines meme)
"In the days, the golden days, where everybody knew what they wanted" - Half Day Closing: Portishead [sorry George!] (25 lines meme)

Billy at Oye Billy! got:
"I was lost, lost on the bypass road, could be worse, I could be turned to toad" - Hometown Unicorn: Super Furry Animals (25 lines meme)
"Don't fall in love with me yet, we've only recently met" - Absolutely Cuckoo: The Magnetic Fields (9 Sept 2006)
"There's nothing to do so you just stay in bed" - Monday Morning: Pulp (11 Sept 2006)

Chris Brooke at The Virtual Stoa [now at a new site] got:
"My life's an open book, you read it on the radio" - Wrecking Ball: Emmylou Harris (7 Sept 2006)

Chris at Stumbling & Mumbling got:
"I'm floating with the birds, I'm talking to the weeds, look what you've done to me" - Crush in the Ghetto: Jolie Holland (25 lines meme)
"Well I sold my farm to take my woman to where she longed to be" - The Streets of Baltimore: Gram Parsons (10 August 2006)
"I went down to the river to watch the fish swim by" - Long Gone Lonesome Blues: Hank Williams (23 August 2006)

Chrissie got:
"This town forgets to draw it's blinds, I see the last ditch carnal crimes" - Tarmac: Hazeldine (25 lines meme)
"When we were young nobody died and nobody got older" - When we were young: Whipping Boy [though obviously this game works best if you don't chose songs with the title in the first line...!] (22 July 2006)
"A million old soldiers will fade away" - A Dream Goes on Forever: Todd Rundgren (3 August 2006)
"Those fingers in my hair" - Witchcraft: Frank Sinatra (4 August 2006)
"She would never say where she came from" - Ruby Tuesday: The Rolling Stones (15 August 2006)
"Mother, mother, there's too many of you crying" - What's going on: Marvin Gaye (27 August 2006)

Col at Lucky Col got:
"No, I sent you that letter, to ask you if the end was worth the means, was there really no inbetween?" - Brassneck: The Wedding Present (25 lines meme)

Cloudy Neil got:
"I think about you all the time, I did this and I went there" - Codex: Pere Ubu (25 lines meme)
"One. She prefers the night to day." - Twelve Reasons Why: My Life Story (5 July 2006)
"I wanna know where the weather is cold" - Man in the Dark: David Thomas and Two Pale Boys [kinda] (13 July 2006)
"Take me out tonight" - There is a light that never goes out: The Smiths/Magic Numbers [Will and Neil] (18 July 2006)
"You called me last night on the telephone" - New York City: They Might Be Giants (28 July 2006)

EineKleineRob got:
"Look outside the window, there's a woman being grabbed" - Outside of a Small Circle of Friends: Phil Ochs (25 lines meme)

George who walks the Munros got:
"I'm not the chemistry of chemicals when we think we're apart" - Flutter: Amplifico (25 lines meme)
"Take me back to your room, tie me up and strip me naked" - Sex is Boring: Ballboy (25 lines meme)
"This afternoon, your back's not so straight, your eyes aren't too clear" - Shark: Throwing Muses (25 lines meme)
"Straight lines that cut through the scene like you wanted to" - Blue Jeans: Ladytron (11 July 2006)
"I'm the king's 32nd son" - Oedipus: Regina Specktor (20 July 2006)
"I heard she drove the silvery sports-car along the empty streets last night" - Hobart Paving: St Etienne (26 July 2006)
"We've laid the cables and the wires" - God is in the House: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (31 July 2006)
"If I walk down this hallway tonight, it's too quiet" - Your Ghost: Kristen Hersh (5 August 2006)
"All the stars may shine a-bright, all the clouds may be white" - All Mine: Portishead (28 August 2006)
"I used to know you when we were young, you were in all my dreams" - Hackensack: Fountains of Wayne (4 Sept 2006)

Gordon from Informationally Overloaded got:
"Looking in your eyes, I see a paradise" - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now: Starship (25 lines meme)
"Childhood living is easy to do, the things you wanted I bought them for you" - Wild Horses: The Rolling Stones (25 lines meme)
"Sugar daddy, come on and sugar me, I want your loving so come on and give it me" - CJ Bolland: Sugar is Sweeter [shared with Marie] (25 lines meme)

Joe (Chrissie's son) got:
"Past trees the fairies are flyin', past trees with rose bushes in" - Spoilt Victorian Child: The Fall (8 Sept 2006)

Joe in Vegas got:
"Hate New York City, it's cold and it's damp" - I Love L.A.:Randy Newman (10 Sept 2006)

Jo Salmon got:
"She said 'there's something in the woodshed...'" - Something for the Weekend: The Divine Comedy (23 July 2006)

Kerron got:
"Well it happened years ago, when you lived on Stanhope Road" - Babies: Pulp (8 July 2006)
"Here I stand, head in hand, turn my face to the wall" - You've Got to Hide Your Love Away: The Beatles (12 July 2006)

Marie at Struggling Author got:
"Always when we fight, I try to make you laugh" - You and Me Song: The Wannadies (25 lines meme)
"Sugar daddy, come on and sugar me, I want your loving so come on and give it me" - CJ Bolland: Sugar is Sweeter [shared with Gordon] (25 lines meme)
"I was never cool in school" - Underground: Ben Folds Five [sorry Anna!] (29 July 2006)

Matt_c from Saving the World got:
"Summer in winter, winter in springtime" - A Summer Wasting: Belle and Sebastian (14 August 2006)

Mike at Troubled Diva got:
"Blue gene baby" - Sweet Gene Vincent: Ian Dury and the Blockheads (12 August 2006)

Moo got:
"Every single night the same arrangement" - Going through the Motions: Buffy aka Sarah Michelle Gellar (25 July 2006)

Nat from Life Under Muddled Stars got:
"I hate the world today, you're so good to me I know but I can't change" - Bitch: Meredith Brooks (25 lines meme)

Poly_Gianniba (who occasionally blogs at 'For the Love of Film...' got:
"Better stop dreaming of the quiet life" - Town Called Malice: The Jam (17 August 2006)

Rayleen Kelly got:
"See the stone set in your eyes" - With or Without You: U2 (19 August 2006)

Reidski at The Big Blowdown got:
"They cried the tears, they shed the fears up and down the land" - Hitsville UK: The Clash (15 July 2006) [in honour]
"All art is quite useless according to Oscar Wilde" - Endless Art: AHouse (19 July 2006)
"I have never cried in anybody's arms, the way that I have often cried in yours" - The Death of all the Romance: The Dears (18 August 2006)
"You’re such a beautiful writer, that’s not all you are, I'm sorry about making a pass" - Suspended From Class: Camera Obscura (24 August 2006)
"Can you hear them, talking 'bout us" - Our Lips Are Sealed: Fun Boy Three (1 Sept 2006)
"I'm in the phone booth, it's the one across the hall" - Hanging on the Telephone: Blondie (2 Sept 2006)
"Jodie wears a hat although it hasn't rained for six days" - Rattlesnakes: Lloyd Cole & the Commotions (3 Sept 2006)
"Ice age, heatwave, can't complain" - The World At Large: Modest Mouse (13 Sept 2006)

Scott Matthewman at Scott's Place got:
"The word is about, there's something evolving" - History Repeating: Propellerheads / Dame Shirley Bassey (6 July 2006)

Stu_n at Live Journal got:
"Summer's gone, days spent with the grass and sun" - Wake Up Boo!: The Boo Radleys (25 lines meme)
"It’s that time again when I lose my friends, go walkabout, I’ve got the bends from pressure" - Come Home: James (10 July 2006)
"My story is much too sad to be told" - I Get a Kick Out of You: Ella Fitzgerald (14 July 2006)
"Clean shirt, new shoes" - Sharp Dressed Man: ZZ Top (2 August 2006)
"Once upon a time when we were friends" - All of my heart: ABC (21 August 2006)
"If she lived in space, man, I'd build a plane" - Sparky's Dream: Teenage Fanclub (31 August 2006)

Will Howells at No Geek Is An Island got:
"Take me out tonight" - There is a light that never goes out: The Smiths/Magic Numbers [Will and Neil] (18 July 2006)
"She sold herself on the one love" - Lost Myself: Longpigs (9 August 2006)
"Once upon a time, not too long ago..." - Whipping Piccadilly: Gomez (13 August 2006)
"At 8 o'clock I said goodbye, that's when I left her house for mine" - Monday Morning 5:19: Rialto (26 August 2006)

7 comments:

Marie said...

You mean you're not already choosing stuff to fox us? Ouch.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Marie! Do NOT panic! The remark about "foxing" was deliberately intended for one particularly successful reader who has influenced our taste in music. I'm probably going to try and go for some more mainstream material was what I should have said!!!

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

"[sorry Anna!]"
Damn right! ;)

And congrats everyone - I'll get one one of these days....!

Anonymous said...

useful blog.

Rosby said...

*sigh* Didn't get ANY of those. Your musical taste is obviously much more sophisticated than mine...

J.J said...

Blimey Lisa - that must have taken you ages to put together.

And I am flaming useless at first lines aren't I? Curses!

Anonymous said...

I'm just amazed that not only did I know the lyrics, I also got in there first!