Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Belated Book meme

Bah, humbug. The difficulty with me being away from the office, poorly or not, is that it prevents me blogging sufficiently. Which also means I get behind with all the lovely work done by my fellow bloggers.

So here, belatedly, are some thoughts on the not-so-recent-meme circulated to me from the luscious Hak Mao.

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
Something meaningful I guess, with a sentiment I can identify with... not thinking too hard about this I would propose The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony by Roberto Calasso for its enigmatic style and exploration of mythology (also a great discussion of Nemesis - a past identity of mine)

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? I guess TV wouldn't count or else I would chose Dr. Daniel Nash (smile!), or in terms of fictional characterisation, Joshua Lyman. Am I seduced by the performer, performance, or the written character? Most recently as a legitimate fictional character my thoughts go to Jeremy Danvers, Alpha werewolf of the pack from Bitten and Stolen.

The last book you bought is: All those Kelley Armstrong books!

The last book you read: Fictionwise, again its already been recorded here, the Lucifer book Mansions of Silence. I tried to get book 7 but Page 45 had sold out. Sniff.

What are you currently reading? Fictionwise, not a lot at this moment but I'm due for another re-read of the Sandman novels. Neil Gaiman's ability to weave stories from such a range of sources always thrills my soul and the visual constructions always please the eye as well.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
King James Bible - because it is great poetry and will sufficiently annoy me in equal measure to keep me angry enough to survive
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman - because I can always do with a good cry and it will go well with the above
House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski - because I still haven't read all the footnotes
The Collected Dorothy Parker - because I like a bit of bitterness
TV scripts - oh come on, they're fictional right? Am undecided whether I want the Blackadder scripts (for humour), a Buffy volume (because it will help me visualise my favourite show), or Aaron Sorkin's volumes of West Wing scripts (because he constructs such great characters).

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

Cloud - because he is so much better read than I am and will impress readers more
Casyn - because she needs to blog her way out of her hard work on Jekyll and Hyde
John at Counago and Spaves (even though he probably already has received it) - because he writes such great little book reviews: see his holiday reading reviews if you don't believe me!

No comments: