Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The worst side of folk music

Since the arrival of the lovely lovely DAB radio, Cloud and I have spent most of our weekends listening to 6 Music. This has been great fun, not least because I get to indulge in listening to Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone ( Sorry, but the guy just has this way of making me laugh - I was a long-time fan from his ddays at NME).

Anyway! Sunday brought a big laugh to the Cloud/Rullsenberg household when Maconie read out a complaining email from someone moaning about the over-abundance of folk music (something that we too had bemoaned from the previous week). But it was the phrasing that cracked us up:
"Too much hey nonny nonny fiddley diddley bollocks"
Couldn't have put it better ourselves. That type of folk music (what I would term the prog end of the folk music spectrum) is just too tedious for words.

2 comments:

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

The Freak Zone is great! But I can't say I'm a fan of Stuart rent-a-talking-head Maconie ;) He knows a lot, and delights in making sure we know it. As for folk... I'm not sure I know a helluva lot about the prog end of folk, but I've been listening to Miss Wainwright and Mr Wainwright Snr a lot recently (too much talent in that family, you'd think they could share...!) Great stuff. Plus, I don't think I'll ever see a more endearing performer than Josh Ritter who I saw at the Cambridge Folk Festival last year (we actually went for the Divine Comedy!). He was a beautiful man.... :D

Funny email though :)

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Stuart rent-a-talking-head Maconie.

Indeed. But I forever forgive him for doing that for a great moment he once contributed when discussing Take That. I forget his exact words but every time I see it, I just roar with laughter. He was describing how Gary Barlow - the one who everyone said had the talent - suddenly looked round and found that the gurning lunatic that is Robbie Williams had been clasped to the public's heart and feted as the genius, leaving Barlow baffled: "did I turn two pages of the script at once? what just happened?!"