Tuesday, November 29, 2005

That Norm game in full

Mentioned last week, I am peeking above the parapet of work to inform you of my attempt at Norm's game:

I picked up: Ways of Reading - An Anthology for Writers (3rd ed). Ed. by David Bartholomae and Anthony Petrosky. Published by Bedford Books of St. Martin's Press, Boston (1993)

I turned to page 200 and found myself in an extract from Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish ("The Body of the Condemned"). The sentence reads:
"We should analyse what might be called, in homage to Kantorowitz, 'the least body of the condemned man.' "
This led me to look up Kantorowitz.

Ernst Kantorowitz: German-born Jewish historian of theology and iconographer, Ernst was born on May 3rd, 1895.

Okay, now here's where I hit a problem: I got a link at Wiki for May 3rd for Cornelius Van Til, but it then turns out he was actually born May 4th. Shame, because he taught at Princeton University, which as any fuel knows is where Ben Baer teaches.

However, to get a link to someone born on May 3rd 1895, I have to be more inventive. Let's go for some family history/oral history records. Ooh, this will do: Herman Mark. He got an honorary degree in 1979 from the University of Nottingham, which is of course where I work and did my PhD.

Job done. That was quite satisfying in a bizarre kinda way...

No comments: