Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Films I am about to watch

As I try to repress the inner self who says "how trashy, how non-intellectual, how frothy" and the one who says "who am I fooling, I'm scarcely a film studies person?!" I contemplate that over the next few weeks I am going to be watching a lot of the following films:
Dirty Dancing
Two Weeks Notice
My Best Friend's Wedding
Love Actually
Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!
Sleepless in Seattle
Moulin Rouge
Muriel's Wedding

Spot the connection? Yep, they would all come under that dubious and despised category known as the Chick Flick.

For those who know me, these are not my usual movie fare - I'm a Fight Club girl myself (and that has NOTHING to do with Brad Pitt... Edward Norton, maybe, but mostly I love quirky narratives), who counts Terry Gilliam aongst her favoured directors, likes Alex Cox movies (Repo Man, Walker), and hefty amount of sci-fi and foreign films dominate her movie choices. We are a 15/18 certificate household mostly.

But I confess a love of froth and have now cornered myself into writing an article on Chick Flicks. Its mostly a polish of ideas and stuff I have written before but even the thought this may reach a public audience is making me excited! And not a little nervous. Wish me luck folks, and I'll keep you posted!

No comments: