Friday, July 04, 2008

This week I have been mostly...

--- avoiding any mention of Doctor Who anywhere. This has proved hard going and has not been easy on anyone I know. My psyche has been battered this week - apologies to all on the sharp end.

--- reading Creme de la Crime novels: I've belted through all three outstanding Maureen Carter books and will be reviewing those in due course. I've also galloped through another of this fine publishers' texts 'If it Bleeds' and am working my way through their Australia-set 'A Certain Malice'. May do reviews on those if I get chance.

--- dealing with workstuff: it's what is known as our 'quiet-time' since most of the undergraduates are back home or working through the summer. Hmm. That only really works if you don't still have lots to do! Regular checks on our record system also keep reminding me I have the largest caseload of students and I'm still stuck in stats land trying to wrangle Access and SPSS data into a report that doesn't go on for 20 pages. Brevity was never one of my strong points. The phrase "skip to the end" comes to mind!

--- trying to deal with the prospect of social interaction. I'm not the most capable attendee of parties and social events at the best of time: in the run up to this Doctor Who finale I'm fucking lousy and working hard at gearing myself up to be what I want to be (cheery, supportive and having a good time). If someone brings out an L-plate I suggest I may not be responsible for my actions. I may have to focus on the dancing that will happen after 11pm and pray that I get at least one tune that I feel able to dance to without having to send my credibility a long-distance postcard.

--- planning for more building work. Birds got in our roof space so we need to sort that out and it would be sensible to have (at least part of) the roof space then boarded so we can use it for storage. We also need chimbleys sorting out so whilst we have this in place, some pointing would be good. Old houses eh: doncha luv em?!

Anyway, on the upside not long to go now. This time tomorrow most of you will already know what has happened in the world of DW; I will have around 3-4 more hours to wait... See you on the other side!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been here for, oh, a couple of years? I couldn't stand the constant wittering about Dr. Wotsisname. Seeing your title on another Blog roll I decided to pay a visit , for old time's sake, and what's the first thing I read - a comment concerning that children's comic character.

I'm off again, see you in a couple of years!

chrissie_allen said...

Hey darling-just to say I'll be thinking of you this weekend doing your pics at your lovely girl's do!
All good wishes from me.XXX

Jane Henry said...

Congrats on the Dr Who avoidance (I am impressed by your stamina)... Hope you get to see the end without anyone telling you what happens.

George said...

Hope it all went well. Any Pulp?

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Re: your Duffman query elsewhere, see above on this post -- *sigh*

Rr: Pulp - there is ALWAYS time for Pulp in my life. Sadly, I couldn't re-enact the enthusiastic dancing from the start of Mike Leigh's film Happy-Go-Lucky by dancing to Pulp on Saturday at the hen-disco (only Soft Cell's Tainted Love) but in my head, it is always Pulp...