Friday, May 27, 2011

Leonora Carrington RIP

Leonora Carrington, whose death was announced today, has long been a heroine and a favourite artist of mine: the works of hers I saw at West Dean courtesy of The Edward James Foundation were a delight to see, and there is something wonderfully magical about her style.

In the past I've written and researched a little about Carrington - my alter life as a scholar of Surrealism, especially English Surrealism demanded it - but her works across all media were so vibrant and compelling, I loved finding out more about her.

Obituaries from the Guardian, and especially the New York Times are worth looking at and reading.

I was rather amused that the Lancashire Telegraph got the local angle in on this "Chorley-born artist", especially given that it was Mexico's national council for culture and the arts that announced her death earlier this week (she had lived in Mexico since the 1940s).

No comments: