Monday, July 05, 2010

Theatre Review: Simon Callow is 'The Man from Stratford' - Sheffield Lyceum Saturday 3 July 2010

As a bonus to HLW and I going away to Sheffield, we found that Simon Callow's one-man show 'The Man From Stratford', about William Shakespeare, was on at the Lyceum.


Both Shakespeare fiends, we booked in.

Jonathan Bate, professor at Warwick, has written the play, drawing on his own scholarship and expertise about Shakespeare but also including quotations from the works of WS where illuminating of human nature and 'the seven ages of man'.

The show is still due on for approximately 3 nights per venue at Windsor, Brighton, Malvern, Taunton, Richmond and eventually Edinburgh (for most of August). According to Jonathan Bate's own Warwick site, the play will then run in London (Riverside Studios 2-12 Sept), Cardiff (15-18 Sept) and Glasgow (21-25 Sept), with possibly more dates after. I'd definitely see it again if I get chance - Neil, watch out!

Well worth seeing, if only to cross off how many quotes you recognise.

2 comments:

chrissie_allen said...

This sounds fantastic, what a treat! Hugs X

Anonymous said...

Hiya i'm new to this, I came accross this message board I find It very accommodating and its helped me out loads. I should be able to contribute & aid other people like it has helped me.

Thanks, See Ya Around