NHS advice (because I won't touch any generic "lose weight by living on water" rubbish), suggests the following:
- Swap from whole milk to semi-skimmed, 1% fat or even skimmed milk. - I drink only skimmed milk
- Swap a sugar-coated breakfast cereal for a wholegrain breakfast cereal such as porridge or shredded wholegrain wheat cereal, with no added sugar. - um, I guess honey-nut cornflakes aren't the best right?
- Swap a sprinkle of sugar on your breakfast cereal for a topping of fresh or dried fruit, which counts towards one of your five a day. - I don't sprinkle anything on my cereal, sugar or otherwise
- Swap full-fat Greek yoghurt for fat-free Greek-style yoghurt or natural low-fat yoghurt. - yoghurt. Yuk. Tried to like it several years ago. Realised it's vile stuff. Full fat or not.
- Swap white breads, bagels and muffins for wholegrain varieties. - most bread products we eat are wholegrain, granary etc
- Swap butter and cheese in your jacket potato for reduced fat spread and reduced salt and sugar baked beans. - I hardly ever eat a jacket potato
- Swap a tuna melt panini for a tuna salad sandwich on wholemeal bread, without mayo. - don't like tuna paninis
- Swap a cheddar cheese filling in your sandwich for reduced-fat hard cheese. - sorry, I do like Cheddar, and Double Gloucester. Though I don't eat as much cheese as Neil. And I don't do Stilton.
- Swap creamy or cheesy sauces for tomato- or vegetable-based sauces on your pasta, meat or fish dishes. - hardly ever have cream sauces. Mostly tomato and veg anyway
- Swap mashed potato made with butter and whole milk for mash with low-fat spread and a lower-fat milk such as semi-skimmed, 1% fat or skimmed. - Don't do mash potatoes much. If I do, it's marg and our milk. Skimmed.
- Choose leaner cuts of meat, for example, swap streaky bacon for back bacon. - if we have bacon it is always back bacon,
- Swap the frying pan for the grill when cooking meat. - hardly ever cook meat. If I do, it's grilled. Never fried.
- Swap your usual coffee made with whole milk to a ’skinny’ coffee made with skimmed milk. - skinny coffee. Fine by me. Hardly drink coffee anyway.
- Swap your cordial for a cordial with no added sugars. - only drink fruit juices if I do
- Swap a few of your sugary drinks for a glass of water. - try to drink water but I'm a camel when it comes to drinking!
- Swap hot chocolate made with whole milk and served with whipped cream for a hot chocolate made with skimmed milk and no cream. - never drink hot chocolate.
- Swap a blueberry muffin for a currant bun on its own or with some reduced fat spread. - don't eat muffins more than once a year if that.
- Swap yoghurt-coated raisins for plain raisins. - would sooner eat sultanas. Definitely no yoghurt covering!
- Swap salted nuts for unsalted nuts. - no nuts
- Swap cheese straws for rice cakes with lower-fat cream cheese - cheese straws?! Are you kidding me?! Yuk!
I guess I just need to cut down. Huh. Dieting eh? Let's face it, every time it ALL boils down to that.